Supervisor: Aquatics Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Random Substance Testing: Yes
Employment Opportunity Summary
The Aquatics Specialist position is designed to assist the Aquatics Manager in the administration of the City’s Aquatic Facilities at Heckart Community Center and at Liberty & Centennial Pools. The successful candidate will be responsible for assisting with programming, scheduling, training, and supervising staff while overseeing summer swim lessons responsibilities. This position also oversees the concession stands at the Heckart Community Center and Liberty & Centennial Outdoor Pools.
Ready to Apply?
Questions and resumes can be submitted via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Employment Opportunity Additional Details
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment to the position.
- Assist with scheduling, training and supervising the SPR aquatic staff in accordance with the prescribed hours of operation, duties and responsibilities and within the approved budget.
- Oversee summer swim lessons from start to finish.
- Facilitate staff in-service trainings and assist with certification classes.
- Supervise, motivate, train, and evaluate seasonal staff.
- Assist with special events and facility rentals.
- Handle general daily functions of an aquatics facility.
- Manage facility and lifeguards when needed.
- Assist with event requests, facility reservations, and daily rentals in computer scheduling software.
- Monitors and maintain inventories of pool equipment and supplies.
- Step in as pool manager as requested.
- Required to perform duties with limited supervision and will be responsible for making significant independent decisions.
- Perform basic maintenance procedures.
- Communicate effectively with other city employees, both oral and written.
- Maintain professional composure in heated situations.
- Follow Departmental and City policies and procedures.
- Make purchases for the concession stands, rotate stock. Keep inventory records and run related reports.
- Hire, train, and manage concession staff.
- Count daily receipts and make deposits.
- Other related duties as required.
The Aquatic Specialist position is a full-time position and is located at Heckart Community Center as well as Liberty & Centennial Pools during the summer. The immediate supervisor for this position is the Aquatics Manager. In this position, there is exposure to chemicals and/or hazardous materials in the form of exhaust, aerosol cans, trash, hospital needles, paint, and cleaning supplies. The stress level associated with this position is high, primarily due to being hyper-vigilant, outdoors, and standing for long periods of time. Physical work consists of but is not limited to, standing, climbing, bending, carrying, walking around obstacles, and lifting.
- Must possess and maintain current American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification.
- Red Cross LGI preferred, or the willingness to obtain within 6 months.
- 2 years of management experience required.
- Certified Pool Operator or Aquatics Facility Operator Certification (or the ability to obtain within 6 months).
- Applicants must be at least 18 years of age.
- Obtain and keep Food Handlers Certification (or the ability to obtain within 6 months).
- Reliable transportation.
- Must have a working phone number at which the employee can be contacted directly.
- Follow oral and written orders.
- Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with employees and the general public.
- Possess customer service skills.
- Public Safety including knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, and procedures.
- Evening, weekend and holiday work.
- Valid email address.
- City and park department policies and procedures.
- Both Federal and Missouri Child Labor laws.
- Health Department codes and American Red Cross guidelines.
- Guidelines require judgment, selection, and interpretation in application.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- While performing the essential functions of this job some tasks involve the ability to exert very moderate physical effort in light work, typically involving some combination of sitting, standing, walking and/or swimming outdoors in the summer heat.
- Emergency tasks and training involve the performance of physically demanding work, which may involve some combination of running, climbing or swimming, and may involve the lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling of moderately heavy and/or heavy objects, materials and/or persons. (20-250 pounds).
- Certain duties of this position are classified as “safety-sensitive.” Therefore, the person in this position will be subject to mandatory testing for drugs and/or alcohol on a random, reasonable suspicion, post-accident, return-to-duty, and follow-up basis in accordance with the City’s Alcohol & Controlled Substance Use, Abuse and Testing Policy.
- This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive, and the employee will also perform other reasonable related business duties as assigned by Department Head as required. This job description is an “at-will” position and does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.