Child Watch Attendant
Supervisor: Recreatio Supervisor - Fitness & Wellness
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Random Substance Testing: Yes
Employment Opportunity Summary
In this fun, kid-friendly role, you will perform a variety of duties for Sedalia Parks and Recreation at the Heckart Community Center Child Watch/Kid Zone. This position will provide direction and constant quality supervision of children from six months to five years old in the Child Watch area and children six years to twelve years old in the Kid Zone area. The attendant is charged with the responsibility of creating a safe, fun, friendly and courteous environment for all members and their children.
Ready to Apply?
Questions and resumes can be submitted via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Employment Opportunity Additional Details
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment to the position.
- Supervises the children, room, and all activities. Interact with children at their eye level while they are in the program areas.
- Greet members and potential members promptly, professionally and politely. Serves as the first point of contact with persons entering the Child Watch/Kid Zone area. Maintains positive relationships and effective communication with parents.
- Provide customer-focused attention during each member interaction by demonstrating excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Monitors individuals entering the Child Watch/Kid Zone area, allowing admittance only to eligible clients.
- Checks in participants and keeps accurate participation records.
- Assists in selling programs and memberships by proactively engaging in conversations on the benefits of Sedalia Parks & Recreation programs and memberships.
- Assists with daily operations (i.e. answering the phone, taking messages, member check-in, tracking).
- Collaborate with all center staff to ensure service excellence and timely follow-up to all member questions and/or complaints.
- Maintains program site and equipment. Keep Child Watch/Kid Zone clean and organized at all times. Follow good health practices: wash hands, sanitize and clean toys and equipment.
- Maintains required program records. This includes reports of disciplinary actions, incidents reports and theft reports. These must be recorded at the time of the actual event and reported to the Recreation Supervisor- Fitness & Wellness/Recreation Superintendent promptly.
- Assists with monthly reports.
- Be able to use the computer system for proper check-in of children as they come into the childcare area.
- Maintain a professional appearance. Always wear name tags and appropriate uniform.
- Arrive for the scheduled shift on time and be ready for work to begin.
- Complete projects/tasks as assigned by the Recreation Supervisor- Fitness & Wellness
- Maintain first aid, CPR and AED certifications, as well as know all safety and emergency procedures for the facility and be able to act quickly and responsibly in emergencies.
- Assists other staff with first-aid and CPR/AED in the event of an emergency.
- Demonstrates work ethic, ingenuity, customer care, and attention to detail.
- Apply rules and policies of Sedalia Parks & Recreation equally to persons in and/or using the facility.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Conditions of Employment
- Must successfully complete a pre-employment drug screen and agree to be subject to random drug screens throughout employment.
- Must pass a Background Criminal Investigation check.
- Must be willing and available to work early morning, morning, afternoon, evening, weekend, and holiday shifts as scheduled by the immediate supervisor, not to exceed 1,500 hours per year.
- CPR/AED and standard first aid certification are required within 60 days of employment.
- Preferred High School diploma plus six (6) months of experience working with children, or any equivalent combination or education and experience.
- Possess strong interpersonal skills relating to all age groups: youth, teens, adults, older adults
- Knowledge of park and recreation practices and programs is preferred.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Working knowledge of data entry into the computer, and knowledge of telephone etiquette.
- Skill in handling cash transactions, operating a cash register, and giving correct change.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and the public; ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing; ability to follow written and verbal instructions.
- Previous experience working with children.
- Ability to plan, organize and implement age-appropriate/developmentally appropriate program activities.
Tools and Special Equipment
- Personal computer
- Point of sale computer
- 10-key calculator
- Copy machine
- Child Watch/Kid Zone play equipment and toys
Guidelines include city and department policies and procedures, Health Department codes, and American Red Cross guidelines. These guidelines are generally clear and specific but may require some interpretation in application.
Principal Working Relationships
Contacts are typically with co-workers, members of civic and community groups, daycare providers, vendors, managers, instructors, maintenance workers, and the general public.
Purpose of Contacts
Contacts are typically to give or exchange information, resolve problems, and provide services.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- The work is typically performed while intermittently sitting, standing, stooping, walking, bending, kneeling, crawling, crouching, talking and hearing. The employee occasionally lifts light and heavy objects, uses tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity, and distinguishes between shades of color. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work is performed primarily in Child Watch/Kid Zone area, but may also be exposed to occasional outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually medium.