Water Department History
The city water system was purchased from the Sedalia Water Company in 1951 when it served 7,700 customers. Since that date, our customer base has swelled to over 10,000 customers.
Nine deep wells provide the majority of the water supply for Sedalia. In 1999, the Water Department built a new 1.5 million gallon water tank. In 2001, a new lab and filtration plant was completed. This plant is capable of producing six million gallons of water per day.
Today, the Water Department has 24 full-time employees.
Public Work Board
The Water Department is overseen by a Public Works Board that meets on the 4th Wednesday of each month at 8:30 a.m. at the Sedalia Water Department. All meetings are open to the public. The Public Works Board consists of four members:
- Jack Robinson – President
- Trish Yasger – Vice President
- Greg Nehring
- Brendan Hurley
Springfork Lake was formed in 1926 with the construction of an earthen dam that impounds Cheese Creek and a 7,000-acre watershed with tributaries to Springfork Lake.
The lake is a great recreational destination for either boating or fishing. However, while boats with motors are not allowed on the water, those with electric trolling motors are permitted. For fishing enthusiasts, the lake is a great place to catch bass, bluegill, crappie, and channel catfish. It is open for fishing from March 1st through October 1st.
Currently, we do not allow fires, firearms, hunting, swimming, or alcoholic beverages at or on the lake.