Group Fitness Instructor
Supervisor: Recreation Supervisor - Fitness & Wellness
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Random Substance Testing: No
Employment Opportunity Summary
In this fun, fast paced role, you will perform a variety of duties such as design and deliver safe, fun, dynamic and effective group fitness training sessions for Sedalia Parks and Recreation fitness center at the Heckart Community Center. This position will be responsible for creating and implementing group class programs for clients at the Heckart Community Center.
Ready to Apply?
Questions and resumes can be submitted via email at email@example.com.
Employment Opportunity Additional Details
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment to the position.
- Design and deliver safe, fun, dynamic and effective group fitness programs.
- Educate clients and enforce policies regarding safe and proper use of equipment and facilities.
- Recruit new members and retain current members.
- Instruct clients on basic exercise physiology and inform them as to proper lifting and exercise technique.
- Maintain client attendance per Sedalia Parks & Recreation standards.
- Demonstrate on-going competence in providing group fitness class instruction.
- Regularly inspect equipment and report any safety or maintenance needs.
- Keep group fitness areas organized, clean, and inviting.
- Provide support to the Recreation Supervisor-Fitness & Wellness as needed and assigned.
- Represent Sedalia Parks & Recreation in a professional manner and act as an ambassador at all times.
- Maintain familiarity with current fitness trends, protocol, methods and programs.
- Greet members and potential members promptly, professionally and politely.
- Provide customer-focused attention during each member interaction by demonstrating excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Assists in selling programs and memberships by proactively engaging in conversations on the benefits of Sedalia Parks & Recreation programs and memberships.
- Collaborate with all center staff to ensure service excellence and timely follow up to all member questions and/or complaints.
- Maintains program site and equipment.
- Assists with monthly reports.
- Maintain a professional appearance. Always wear name tags and appropriate uniform.
- Arrive for scheduled shift on time and be ready for work to begin.
- Complete projects/tasks as assigned by the Recreation Supervisor-Fitness & Wellness.
- Maintain first aid, CPR and AED certifications, as well as knowing all safety and emergency procedures for the facility and being able to act quickly and responsibly in emergencies.
- Assists other staff with first-aid and CPR/AED in the event of an emergency.
- Demonstrates work ethic, ingenuity, customer care, and attention to detail.
- Apply rules and policies of Sedalia Parks & Recreation equally to persons in and/or using the facility.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Condition of Employment
- Must pass a Background Criminal Investigation check.
- Must be willing and available to work early morning, morning, afternoon, evening, weekend, and
holiday shifts as scheduled by immediate supervisor, not to exceed 1,500 hours per year.
- NCCA recognized certification preferred: NASM, ACE, AFAA, ACSM, NSCA.
- High School diploma plus six (6) months experience or any equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Able to attain CPR/AED and standard First Aid certification within 60 days.
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills relating to all age groups: youth, teens, adults, older adults.
- Knowledge of park and recreation practices and programs preferred.
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Working knowledge of data entry into the computer, and knowledge of telephone etiquette.
- Demonstrated ability to be highly organized and possess strong planning skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and the public; ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing; ability to follow written and verbal instructions.
- Ability to plan, organize and implement age-appropriate/developmentally appropriate program activities.
Tools and Equipment
- Personal computer
- Point of sale computer
- 10-key calculator
- Copy machine
- Fitness equipment.
Guidelines include city and department policies and procedures, Health Department codes, and American Red Cross guidelines. These guidelines are generally clear and specific, but may require some interpretation in application.
Principal Working Relationships
Contacts are typically with co-workers, park board members, members of civic and community groups, vendors, managers, instructors, maintenance workers, and the general public.
Purpose of Contacts
Contacts are typically to give or exchange information, resolve problems, and provide services.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- The work is typically performed while intermittently sitting, standing, stooping, walking, bending, kneeling, crawling, crouching, talking and hearing. The employee occasionally lifts light and heavy objects, uses tools or equipment requiring a high degree of dexterity, and distinguishes between shades of color. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Work is performed primarily in fitness center area, but may also be exposed to occasional outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually medium.