The Sanitation Division coordinates various programs and services to manage the City of Sedalia's waste stream. The Sanitation Division handles residential collection and appropriate disposal of refuse (garbage), recyclables, and yard waste. The Sanitation Division has regulations on curbside refuse and recycling collection, bulky-item pickup, to ensure quality service as well as to protect the environment.
Residential trash collection is once per week. Trash collections routinely occur Tuesday through Friday with the exception being weeks with holidays.
- Maps showing the areas where trash collections occur by day may be viewed by clicking on the links shown under "Trash Collection Days Maps" on the right side of this webpage.
- The Holiday Trash Pick-up Schedule can be viewed by clicking on "Holiday Trash Pick-up Schedule" line in the column on the right side of this webpage.
- All trash placed on the curb for collection must be City provided carts.
- Materials must be at the curb by 6 a.m. Residents may put carts out as early as 4 p.m. on the day before your scheduled collection.
- For bulky items, please schedule a pickup by calling (660) 827-7820. Fees will apply.
Customers new to the City will receive their trash cart(s) after signing up for water, wastewater and trash service through the City's Finance Division.
Annually, the City provides a Clean Sweep Program in the spring targeted at cleaning up bulky items and other wastes from within the community. Please click here for more information regarding the City's annual "Clean Sweep" Program
Due to impacts from COVID-19 on recyclables markets, residential curbside recycling has ceased until conditions improve. Currently, the City continues to accept source separated recyclables at the City's Materials Management Site at 27882 Highway U.
• Materials accepted for recycling
• Materials not accepted for recycling
• Household hazardous waste
• Electronics waste
• Tree and yard waste site
• Tree and yard waste pick-up service
Glass Recycling Collection Locations
The City currently has three collection containers for glass. The glass is taken to the Ripple Glass Recycling Center in Kansas City, Missouri for recycling. GLASS ONLY IN THE CONTAINERS.
We ask everyone to place only glass in the large purple glass containers. No cardboard boxes, no garbage bags or other materials. GLASS ONLY IN THE CONTAINERS.
Glass Recycling Drop-Off Sites
- 1002 S. Massachusetts Ave.
- 1915 S. Limit (behind Kehde's BBQ)
- 27822 Highway U (S. Ingram Ave.)
For more information on the Central Missouri Landfill and materials it accepts, please contact Waste Corporation of Missouri at the landfill: (660) 826-9133.
If after reviewing the information provided at these links, should you have questions, please contact the Sanitation Division at (660) 827-7820.
Separated Recycling at the Materials Management Site
Below are lists of materials accepted for recycling and those that are not accepted at the Materials Management Site.
Materials Accepted for Recycling
- Phone books
- Paper egg cartons
- Opened mail and greeting cards
- File folders
- White or pastel office paper
- Magazines, brochures and catalogs
- Paperboard boxes
- Paperback books
- Pizza boxes
- Corrugated cardboard
- Paper bags
- Paper milk/juice cartons (no foil pouches, do not flatten)
- Clean balled aluminum foil (2" or larger) and pie pans
- Empty aerosol cans (no caps)
- Cans (do not crush or flatten)
- #1-7 plastic tubs, screw top jars, bottles and jugs (no lids, no #7 PLA compostables do not flatten!)
- Loose metal jar lids and steel bottle caps
Items NOT Accepted for Recycling
- Thin plastic bags such as those used at grocery stores and big box retailers
- Windows, window glass
- Glass, drinking glasses, mirrors
- Ceramics, plates, vases
- Scrap metal
- Light bulbs, fluorescent tubes
- Tyvek Envelopes
- Plastic microwave trays
- Frozen food, ice cream or frozen juice containers
- Medical waste, needles or syringes
- Hazardous or bio-hazardous waste
- Tissues, paper towels, napkins
Pettis County Recycles Too!
The City of Sedalia and Pettis County have partnered to make resident recycling available to county residents. An annual fee of $64 for Calendar Year 2021 and $128 for Calendar Year 2022 is charged to county residents by the city to offset the costs of collecting, transporting and disposing of materials. To apply for a permit to recycle, fill out this form.
Upon receipt of their permit, county residents can deliver residential recycling materials to the City of Sedalia's Materials Management Site at 27882 Highway U, just south of the city limits on Ingram Avenue. Each household will be provided with (2) recycling decals to be displayed in the rear windows of the vehicles delivering recyclables to the drop-off site.
Additionally, the site is open 7 days a week, excluding City holidays, from 7 a.m to 5:30 p.m. for collection of electronic waste and glass. Household hazardous waste disposal is provided to residents by appointment only. Residents may call (660) 827-3000, ext. 1166, to schedule a drop-off time.